Monthly Archives: June 2013
Posted by Vegan Gourmand
Have you ever been eating a muffin and just lifted the top of the muffin off and ate it? Well these muffin top cookies are a healthy alternative to those high fat, high calorie, and cholesterol laden ones, you can buy at the store.
1 ripe banana
1 cup vanilla almond milk
3/4 cup granulated sugar or substitute 1/4 to 1/2 cup Agave or another natural sweetener. See note below.
1 teaspoon natural vanilla exstract
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (I use Bob’s Red Mill)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shredded coconut or toasted coconut
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 deg. F
2. Mash the banana well with a masher or a fork then mix the banana, milk, sugar, vanilla and vinegar in a small bowl until combined well.
3. In a separate bowl, mix oats, flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and coconut then mix in cranberries and chocolate.
4. Add wet mixture to dry ingredients, the mixture will be a bit runny, that’s ok this is how it should be, as it sits it will thicken and you will want to re-stir it.
5. Put large tablespoon amounts onto a baking sheet, about 3 inches around and about 4 to 6 per sheet, preferably on a non-stick baking sheet. If you don’t have a non-stick baking sheet then oil the baking sheet a bit beforehand.
6. Bake for about 13 to 15 min. or until golden brown.
7. Let cool for 5 minutes. Enjoy!
NOTE: You can substitute 1/4 to 1/2 cup Agave or another natural sweetener for the sugar but if you use a liquid sweetener like Agave you will have to cut the liquid (Almond milk) down a bit. Play around with it and have fun.
Photo Credits DelPozzi Photography
Recipe adapted from “The China Study Cookbook“