Vegan Gourmand’s Breakfast Muffins
I am up early for work every weekday (2:45am) and needed something healthy that I could make ahead of time and grab to go with my smoothy or herbal tea as I am running out the door. So I found a recipe online. I experimented with it and changed it to my liking, and so here it is. A hearty dense muffin perfect for breakfast or really anytime. I hope you find it as yummy as I do.
2 cup + 2 Tablespoon non-dairy milk. (I use almond milk)
4 Tbs golden flax meal
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 cup chopped pecans ( ¼ inch pieces)
1 cup raisins
2 Tbs finely chopped ginger
1 tbs ground cinnamon
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 cup rolled oats
1 cup chick pea flour
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
10 oz of pineapple tidbits
1 cup apple sauce
1/2 cup real grade “B” brown maple syrup
2 Tbs molasses
3 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt
1. Preheat oven to 325 deg F (Convection oven 300 deg) In a medium bowl whisk together the non-dairy milk, golden flax meal and apple cider vinegar. Let it sit for about 10 minutes so the non-dairy milk curdles.
2. Chop the pecans and ginger. Add them, along with the raisins, to a small bowl and set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl whisk together the whole wheat flour, oats, chick pea flour, Cinnamon, baking powder and baking soda.
4. In another large mixing bowl whisk together the maple syrup, molasses, apple sauce, vanilla extract, pineapple and salt. Now whisk in the non-dairy milk and flax mixture
5. Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl containing the dry ingredients and mix until just incorporated. Stir in the chopped pecans, raisins and ginger.
To make large jumbo muffins
Line a Jumbo muffin pan with cup cake liners. Scoop the batter into the muffin pan (two Ice cream scoops per muffin) making sure the dough is filled up to the top of the pan and domed. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Yield: 12 Large Muffins
If you want to make smaller, regular size muffins cut recipe in half and use only one ice cream scoop per muffin in a regular size muffin tin.
Posted on February 11, 2014, in Recipes and tagged Baking, breakfast, comfort food, Eating Healthy, food, health, muffin, muffins, Recipe, Vegan, vegetarian, whole foods. Bookmark the permalink. 6 Comments.