Monthly Archives: October 2014
Here is a classic Italian entree that is made with Gardein chick’n and is outstanding.
4 4oz Gardein “Chicken” style breasts
2 cups all-purpose flour
8 tablespoons vegan butter I use Earth Balance
5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 cup vegetable stock
1/2 cup dry white wine I use Chardonnay
1/4 cup capers rinsed and drained
3/4 teaspoon minced garlic
3/4 teaspoon chopped shallot
1/8 cup sugar, if needed
1. Defrost and season the Gardein breasts with salt and pepper. Dredge them in flour and shake off any extra being very careful because the breasts can crack and break very easily.
2. In a large skillet melt 3 tablespoons of the vegan butter with two tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat.
3. When you see the pan start to bubble, add the floured breast to the pan carefully, cook them until brown on both sides. Remove the breast onto a paper towel.
4. Lower the heat to low and add the lemon juice, stock,wine, capers, garlic, and shallots.
5. Bring heat up to med and bring sauce to a boil, be sure to scrape the brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
6. Check the flavor of the sauce and add some salt or pepper if needed. If the sauce is too lemony or bitter add some sugar to mellow it.
7. Continue to cook the sauce and let it reduce and thicken a bit, about 3-4 minutes till garlic and shallots soften a bit.
8. When your ready to serve, add the breast back into the pan with the sauce and heat them back up.
9. Plate the breasts then spoon the sauce over the breasts and serve.