Vegan Gourmand’s Vegan Biscotti Recipe
With the weather getting colder and the coffee getting stronger I thought we needed something to sweeten our mornings the Italian way. So I though to would share with you my Biscotti recipe. Enjoy!
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (you could also put 1/4 to 1/2 a teaspoon of pumpkin spice into the mix as well)
- egg replacer, the amount equivalent to 3 eggs (I use Energ brand)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon real vanilla extract
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 bag of Dark Chocolate chips for dunking (I sometimes add the zest of one orange into the chocolate as it is melting to give it a citrus note) (or maybe some crushed candy canes to give it that peppermint kick)
NOTE: Get creative with this. If you don’t like a certain flavor, add the one you like. Don’t like dark chocolate maybe white chocolate is more to your fancy or none at all. Like almonds? Use almond extract instead of vanilla and add slivered almonds into the dough. It’s up to you!
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets or line with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, beat together the oil, prepared egg replacer, water, sugar and vanilla until well blended. Combine the flour, baking powder and cinnamon, stir into the wet mixture to form a heavy dough. Divide dough into two pieces. Form each piece into a roll almost as long as your cookie sheet. Place roll onto the prepared cookie sheet, and press down and flatten until its about 1/2 inch thick.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes in the preheated oven, until golden brown. Remove from the baking sheet to cool on a wire rack. When The Biscotti logs are cool, slice each one crosswise into 1/2 inch slices. Place the slices cut side up back onto the baking sheet. Bake for an additional 6 to 8 minutes on each side for a total of 12 to 16 minutes. Slices should be lightly toasted and golden brown on edges.
- Melt the chocolate chips in a double boiler and dip the flat bottoms of the biscotti to cover the bottoms. Let cool until the chocolate hardens and enjoy!