Monthly Archives: March 2017
Image above: Reuben Sandwich made with this Vegan “Corned Beef” recipe.
Just in time for St. Patrick’s Day. Here is my go to Corned Beef recipe. Enjoy!!
1 ¼ cup wheat gluten
1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp red pepper (optional)
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp allspice
1 cup cold water
½ cup kidney beans, mashed
1 1/2 tsp coarse ground mustard
2 Tbs vegetable oil
1 tsp ginger root, very finely minced
1 clove garlic, finely minced
1 Tbs brown sugar
1 Tbs tomato paste
1. Preheat oven to 325°.
2. In a small bowl, mix together dry ingredients, wheat gluten through the allspice.
3. In a medium bowl, mix together remaining wet ingredients.
4. Combine the wet and dry mixtures together until well-blended, knead the mixture for few minutes to condition the gluten.
5. Stretch dough out from the ball then shape dough into a flat square like a slab of corned beef and wrap tightly in aluminum foil, folding the ends and corners to seal.
6. Bake for 35 minutes on a cookie sheet then turn over and bake an additional 40 min.
7. Let cool fully; slice thin and serve. I use a meat slicer to get it thin and a consistent thickness.
The way I enjoy this the most is in a Reuben sandwich with Field Roast’s Vegan Chao Cheese, Vegan Thousand Island Dressing (See recipe below) and of course Sauerkraut all on good Rye bread. (I like Dave’s Rockin’ Rye)
Easy Vegan Thousand Island Dressing Recipe
- 1 cup vegan mayonnaise (I like Vegenaise best)
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- dash salt
- 3 tbsp sweet pickle relish
Mix well and enjoy!
There is an all new 4 part series called “Prescription: Nutrition”. It brings you the science behind the healthiest foods to eat and takes you on a foodie journey through the world of plant-based cooking.
It featuring experts Dr. Michael Greger, Tracye McQuirter, MPH and chefs Rich Landau and Kate Jacoby from Vedge Restaurant.
New episodes premiere every other week. Unfortunately, it currently can only be seen on Curiosity Stream But you can sign up for a 31-day trial and give it a watch.