I just love this dish. If the Thai restaurant has it on the menu, I am ordering it, that is unless they can’t make it vegan. I am still in the process of tweaking this recipe a bit but I thought I would share it anyway. Its really good the way it is, I just prefer it a bit sweeter and thicker. Please tell me what you think and if you tweaked it in any way, please share.
3 cups vegetable broth
6 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
4 tablespoons brown sugar (packed)
2 tablespoons Vegan Worcestershire sauce
4 teaspoons Corn starch
1 tablespoon Hoisin sauce
4 tablespoons minced green onion
3 tablespoons minced garlic
3 tablespoons minced ginger
2 teaspoons garlic chili sauce
1 Tablespoon oil for frying (I use coconut or peanut oil)
1 head broccoli florets par boiled
2 each Carrot, Sliced in thin rounds par boiled
8-10 each Thai basil whole leaves
3 each Thai eggplant sliced at a diagonal and salted
sesame oil for sprinkling on eggplant
sea Salt for sprinkling on eggplant
1. In a large bowl mix together all the sauce ingredients and set aside.
2. Chop eggplant onto 1″ slices, generously sprinkle with sesame oil and sea salt and broil for 8-10 minutes on each side.
3. In a hot wok stir fry the stir fry ingredients together for about a minute then add broiled eggplant stir to cover eggplant.
4. Immediately add sauce mixture and cook on a med high heat for 15 or so minutes until it reached a think consistency
5. Add vegetables & Thai basil. (if adding fried tofu add it at this point also)
6. Stir and cook an additional 2- 3 minutes then serve immediately.